Friday 27 November 2020

Maori

This week I watched a kapa haka group perform. 


First, the kapa haka group performed their entrance ceremony by using various tools. They also informed me about the weapons, tools, and their purposes. The first training item was the Poi which works on the flexibility and dexterity of the wrists and arms. The second training item was the ti rakau which was also for the dexterity in the arms. The last item, which was an actual weapon, was called a taiaha. The taiaha is meant to represent the human body, and it can be used for offense and defense


Next, I watched the second part of their performance. At the end of their performance they performed a haka. The haka is traditionally used to scare opponents before certain events. Our school's kapa haka group also responded with a haka.


Lastly, I played Matau & Maui. Matau & Maui worked on my reaction and listening skills. Our objective was to not drop the rakau on the floor. 


I found their performance fun and educational because I gained a deeper understanding of Maori culture. 


LI: To learn and experience kapa haka performance

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.